- One Million Stories - 200 years of Chinese Australians
- Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust – announcement of Trust appointments - 2018
- Natural Burials at Bunurong Memorial Park
- Official Opening and Blessing of Melbourne’s Saint Michael the Archangel Mausoleum
- 2018 Mother’s Day Remembrance Service at Bunurong Memorial Park
- SMCT Honoured to Now Serve Sorrento's Community
- Artist’s trail winds its way to Bunurong Memorial Park
- Victoria's Proud War History Lives on Through our Booklet
- Bunurong Memorial Park's Cremation Viewing Room Upgraded
- The Vanitas Experience at Melbourne General Cemetery
- SMCT receives Runner-Up award in the ‘Best Wellbeing Program’
- Sorrento Public Cemetery
- Loved ones honoured at special Christmas Remembrance Service
- SMCT Annual Meeting
- Many voices, singing as one
- A special community service honours the lives of children
- SMCT All Souls Day Services
- Revamped Halloween tours sold out at Melbourne General Cemetery
- Springvale Botanical Cemetery’s Cremation Viewing Room Upgraded
- Official Opening and Blessing of Saint Padre Pio Mausoleum
- Italian Culinary Heritage Tour at Melbourne General Cemetery
- Dr Alan Wolfelt Visits our Centre for Care & Wellbeing at Springvale Botanical Cemetery
- Bunurong Memorial Park - Runner up in 2016 American Cemetery Excellence Awards
- Springvale Botanical Cemetery unveiled the Victoria Cross Memorial to mark Remembrance Day
- New addition to the Children's Lawn Area
- Lotus Garden opens with the recognition of Chinese Australians
- Vigil Candle Lit on National Police Remembrance Day
- A Brand New Home for the Centre for Care & Wellbeing
- RSL Remembrance Service at Springvale War Cemetery
- All Souls Day Services 2018
Worksafe Awards 2018
- Children’s Christmas Remembrance Service 2018
- CCW Christmas Carols on the Lawn
- Events calendar
- Presentations, Tours and Facilities
Worksafe Awards 2018
Southern Metropolitan Cemetery Trust is excited to announce the recent recognition as one of the top three finalists at the WorkSafe Awards 2018 in the Best Solution to a Manual Handling Issue category.
SMCT was one of over 175 nominations into this prestigious annual WorkSafe Awards, now in their 30th year.
Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust offers a number of memorial options including mausoleums. Traditionally the face of the crypt (shutter) is made of granite that can weigh up to 100kg and may need to be removed up to eight times from the time of purchase. This process was identified as a risk due to the weight of these shutters and the physical position that employees need to assume to complete the task.
Following extensive research and consultation, including discussions with engineering and operations employees, SMCT designed a plant attachment to allow mechanical lifting of shutters during interments.
The simple, yet effective Dellar Shutter Removal Attachment attaches to existing equipment and removes the risk of manual handling injuries associated with manoeuvring large pieces of marble or granite. It also eliminates employees having to adopt awkward postures and angles.
Since its introduction, the organisation has had zero manual handling incidents in relation to this task.